Wednesday, July 20, 2011

THE TIGER'S WIFE - by Tea Obreht




The Tiger's Wife is a brilliantly written novel. I enjoyed it thoroughly and am really looking forward to reading more from Tea Obreht!

The only trouble I can really speak of with this novel is that when people have asked me what the book is about I am at a loss. It is difficult to succinctly describe this book. I have found it best to simply say - Just Read It!

Obreht has beautifully woven together layer upon layer of mystery, magic and beauty within the pages of The Tigers Wife. Natalia is a young doctor who is trying to find answers about her beloved grandfather's death while she is on a medical mission to inoculate orphans. In learning more about her grandfather's life, we are introduced to other characters such as The Deathless Man, The Butcher and the Tiger's Wife. The Tiger's Wife has a fairytale quality to it, but there are no cliche happily-ever-afters in this book.

No comments: